Top Contact


Get in touch:

Navy sues Myanmar nationals, traffickers

November 20, 2014

Staff Correspondent, Ctg / The Daily Star

Two separate cases have been filed against 85 Myanmar and Bangladeshi nationals two days after nearly 600 people were rescued while being trafficked to Malaysia.


Myanmar nationals, rescued from a trawler heading for Malaysia in the Bay on Monday, being taken to the Chittagong Chief Metropolitan Magistrate’s Court yesterday in a case filed against them for intruding into Bangladesh. Photo: Anurup Kanti Das


Lieutenant Commander M Mahbubur Rahman, executive officer of BNS Durjoy, the navy ship that intercepted the Myanmar cargo carrier, lodged the cases with Patenga Police Station yesterday morning.


A total of 82 Myanmar nationals including 19 women were sued for illegal entry into Bangladesh while 17 people from both the countries including three Bangladeshis were accused in another case filed for human trafficking.


Fourteen Myanmar nationals were accused in both cases, officer-in-charge (OC) Kazi Shahabuddin of Patenga PS said.


“The Navy handed over 592 people to us on Tuesday night. Out of them 85 are accused in both cases,” he said.


A total of 85 detained people and 12 Myanmar infants were produced before the court, the OC said adding that they would seek seven-day remand against each of the 17 accused for human trafficking.


The rescued 495 Bangladeshi nationals including 14 women and 21 children were released in the morning after interrogation, he added.


The Bangladeshi fortune seekers were collected from different places across the country by traffickers and taken to different spots at Teknaf to be sent to the trawler through small boats 10 to 12 days ago, the victims said.


Traffickers lured many of the victims by promising them attractive jobs in Malaysia while some were kidnapped or taken forcefully.


BNS Durjoy intercepted the Myanmar trawler, a wooden cargo carrier, with 592 people around 120 nautical miles off St Martin’s Island on Monday morning and brought the trawler to Chittagong on Tuesday evening.